Monday, September 23, 2013

Spiderweb Progress and Waiting for a TIAS!

It's funny how, when you know you should be doing something else, all you want to do is the opposite of what you should be doing...

I should be lesson planning. I've been teaching for ONE WEEK and I'm already avoiding lesson planning, something, by the way, I actually enjoy...

I just enjoy tatting more. :)

Also I'm into this Spiderweb doily...

It's hard to really see progress at this stage, but here is what I finished last night:
And here is what I finished tonight:
I actually made a fairly decent boo boo tonight; while attempting to cut off a recently-hidden tail I accidentally snipped the space instead...oops!
Luckily, I kept my head, hid the tails and added in a totally new thread...hopefully that doesn't come back to haunt me later:

My husband, who usually studiously ignores the tatting craze (and multiplying tatting book and thread piles) actually commented on how much he liked this pattern...I count that as a win...although I can tell this doily is going to need A LOT of blocking to lay nicely...

Probably I'll be taking a bit of a pause on the spiderweb over the next few days because a) I teach on Wednesdays and Thursdays and b) I am going to do my first real-time TIAS! (If you haven't signed up or don't know about it, follow this link.)

I have my size 20 continuously wound shuttles ready to go...it's hard to be 16 hours ahead of US Central time...all the dates are wrong! ;)

Also, I thought I would show you the "beverage" I had with my lunch at an Uzbek restuarant today...
I figure any members of a group whose International Holiday encourages eating chocolate as much as actually doing the craft that inspired the holiday would appreciate this as much as I did... :)

 It was called hot chocolate on the menu, but it basically reminded me of a melted chocolate bar pudding with a bit of milk added in...it was soooooooo amazingly good!

The packet next to it was a mixture of cinnamon, cardamom and black pepper...I could have added it in, but why spoil something so perfect?

8 comments:

  1. Your mat will when finished look lovely and great colour. Not sure about the drink as a diabetic I don't think I should try it, the little packet would definitely spoil it for me.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that was a VERY sugary drink...probably not so great for a diabetic. :(

      Delete
  2. That is very pretty! And the hot chocolate looks wicked!
    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Fox. :) I think sinful is another good word to describe the chocolate...amazing works too :)

      Delete
  3. I am not familiar with the pattern, but I have made doilies like this and they don't need any blocking if you put a series of rings and chains round the netting. Its really fun, and this is beautiful! I'll be posting mine coming Friday. I love to tat It definitely has me hooked too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know! The pattern doesn't call for them at the end but I may throw them in there if I can't get it to lay nicely... :)

      Delete
  4. Your doily is quite beautiful like a burst of sunshine!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right! I call it the spiderweb doily because that's what the book calls it, but in my head it's really the sunshine doily! :)

      Delete